Antisemitism: From Its Origins to the Present
Yad Vashem - The World Holocaust Remembrance Center via Coursera
In this course, 50 leading scholars from all over the world will explore questions and issues relating to antisemitism including: what is antisemitism? How has it changed throughout history? Why can it be found among so many diverse cultures, and even among opposing ideologies? What happened to antisemitism after the Holocaust? How is antisemitism expressed today, and what are the main spheres in which it can be found?
- WHAT IS ANTISEMITISM? DEFINITIONS AND ORIGINS
- This week we will begin our exploration of the phenomenon of antisemitism. We will discuss the nature of hate, the unique characteristics of antisemitism as well as the etymology of the term. We will then turn to the historical roots and early development of the phenomenon - from the Greco-Roman period up until the Middle Ages.
- THE CHANGING FACE OF ANTISEMITISM
- We will move on to the Modern Era, examining how attitudes towards the Jews were affected by the major religious, social, and political movements that were shaping Europe and the world during this time.
- GENOCIDAL ANTISEMITISM: FROM WORLD WAR I TO THE HOLOCAUST
- This week we will delve into the 20th century and see how modern antisemitic notions and perceptions continued to develop and to be expressed, reaching a murderous peak with the catastrophic event of the Holocaust
- CONTEMPORARY ANTISEMITISM
- This week we will turn to the contemporary world by first examining how antisemitism is expressed by two of the main realms in which it can be found today - the Far-right and the Far-left
- THE ISLAMIC AND ARAB WORLD
- This week we will continue with our exploration of antisemitism in the contemporary world, by focusing on the past and present of a realm which has not been discussed in the course so far - the Arab and Islamic world.
- ADDRESSING ANTISEMITISM
- During this last week of the course, we will try to better our understanding of contemporary antisemitism. We will also explore online hate, and examine the ways antisemitism is confronted and dealt with in various arenas today.
Yossi Kugler and Dafna Dolinko