Owing to its rapid development in recent years, China has moved into the spotlight of the international arena. While understanding modern China's economy, technology and politics is important, knowing its cultural roots and evolution is no less crucial for seeing a full picture of Chinese culture. This course introduces 5 interesting aspects of traditional Chinese culture.
Key questions of the course
- What was the origin of ancient Confucianism? How does ancient Confucian wisdom help us address the modern human predicament?
- How does Daoism enlighten us with a butterfly and fish? What is the connection between Daoism and the equality of all living organisms?
- Why does Buddhism see our present lifetime to be nothing but suffering? How do the Four Noble Truths help liberate us from suffering?
- What is special about Chinese ancient warfare? Who is Sunzi? What is his book The Art of War about? What can we learn from this famous book?
- What are the main styles and themes of the paintings in the Song dynasty? Who were the famous painters in that period? How did they collectively usher in a new era of artistic achievement for Chinese traditional paintings?
- A team of 5 experts in Chinese culture has designed the course. They are, in alphabetical order, Dr Chen, Dr Muelenbeld, Dr Fok, Dr Tse and Dr Wan.
- The compact design of the mini-lectures suits the busy schedule of edX learners.
- Introductions by animation hosts highlight the key questions of each unit.
- Illustrations and maps are designed to liven up the mini-lectures.
- Self-learning is supported by review questions and forums.
- Cross-referencing enhances a fruitful learning experience across the units of the HKPolyUx series on Chinese culture.