In this course you will build a practical framework to understand the critical linkages between organization design and the creation of economic value through execution. We will focus on four critical linkages:
1. How organizational growth and life cycle require design changes to improve execution
2. How managerial decision making can be improved through better organization design
3. How the design of human resource practices shape the culture of the organization
4. How innovation and change can be facilitated through organization design
These linkages are critical in assessing how managers make sure that the organizations they design can execute the strategies they have envisioned under changing environmental conditions.
Learners will be able to answer the following:
• What are the managerial implications of organizational growth and life cycle?
• How do you improve managerial decision making through organizational design?
• How do human resource management policies shape organizational culture?
• How do organizations plan for top management succession and change?
• How do you know that your organization design is not effective?
• How do you manage organizational change and innovation?
This course is part of the iMBA offered by the University of Illinois, a flexible, fully-accredited online MBA at an incredibly competitive price. For more information, please see the Resource page in this course and onlinemba.illinois.edu.
-You will become familiar with the course, your classmates, and our learning environment. The orientation will also help you obtain the technical skills required for the course.
Module 1: Organizational Life Cycle – Innovation, Change, and Redesign
-What happens to organizations as they grow, and how should managers respond to needs for change to cope with the consequences of growth? Organization design cannot be static and requires constant evaluation in terms of its ability to execute managerial strategies.
Module 2: Managerial Decision Making and Organization Design
-How can managers design organizations in order to make effective decisions? The answer to this question requires a clear understanding of cognitive limitations of managers and how managerial practices can be developed to overcome them.
Module 3: Managing Human Resources – Building Culture and Identity in Organizations
-Why is organizational culture important, and which critical processes are responsible for it? We will approach this question by looking at the human resource practices of organizations that shape the nature of human interactions and perpetuate organizational culture.
Module 4: Top Management Teams, Managerial Succession, and Organizational Consequences
-How do organizations select, develop, and promote individuals to build effective top management teams? We will explore topics such as managerial succession, managerial careers, and the talent management tools that are used to build the execution capabilities of organizations.