This course aims to provide knowledge of the concepts, data, and methodology required to critically evaluate new medical technologies in order to secure financial investment, reimbursement, and regulatory compliance objectives, such as FDA approval. The course is designed to provide understanding of the analytic tools needed to evaluate medical technologies. After completing this course, students will have the skills needed to:
- Understand the reimbursement systems financing medical technology use.
- Understand the role of government and regulatory agencies in the development and use of new medical technologies.
- Identify a population to be served by a medical technology.
- Use health care data to evaluate a medical technology.
- Perform cost/benefit and cost/effectiveness analysis of a new technology.