This computer science course covers advanced OOP strategies, including polymorphism, abstract classes, super keyword, exceptions, generics, sorting and searching algorithms.
This course is for anyone interested in taking a first-level computer-programming course, particularly those who attend a school that does not provide a similar class.
We are looking forward to helping you explore this exciting new world!
Unit Name or Timeframe: Polymorphism (3 weeks)
- Polymorphism and the relationship of parent and child classes
- Calling parent constructor and casting with super keyword
- Abstract class and interfaces and the use of late binding
- Abstract methods
Unit Name or Timeframe: Exceptions (1 weeks)
- Generic Exception class
- Arithmetic, ArrayIndexOutOfBounds, NullPointer, ClassCast, IllegalArgument
- The try-catch structure
- The throws keyword
- Handled vs unhandled exceptions
Unit Name or Timeframe: Dynamic data structures (3 weeks)
- Use List reference and by extension the ArrayList classes
- Traversals, insertions, deletions
- Swap operations
- Bubble sort, Selection sort, Insertion sort and Merge sort
- Binary search and Linear search
- Big-O Notation and algorithm analysis
Sunil Prabhakar, Debbie Perouli and Phil Sands