What is gravity? This fundamental force is the common theme between concepts as intriguing as the Big Bang, black holes, dark energy, space-time, gravitational waves and the expansion of the Universe.
If these concepts pique your interest, this free online course is for you. It doesn’t require any background in physics or mathematics, just a simple curiosity about the Universe and our place in it.
Discover why the discovery of gravitational waves in 2016 is a real scientific revolution
The theory of gravity, Einstein’s theory of relativity, was published in 1915. This course presents in a simple way the main ideas behind this theory, before explaining why “gravity is the engine of the Universe.”
We will also explore the 2016 discovery of gravitational waves – a phenomenon that Einstein predicted exactly 100 years ago. By the end of the course, we’ll find out:
- why, the further you look, the more distant the past is;
- how we can tell what happened just after the Big Bang;
- what the dark components of the Universe are;
- what happens when you cross the horizon of a black hole;
- why the discovery of gravitational waves is opening an extraordinary exploration of our Universe and our space-time.
Learn with gravity experts including a Nobel Prize-winning physicist
Over six weeks, you’ll learn with Pierre Binétruy, the Director of the Paris Centre for Cosmological Physics at Paris Diderot University, as well as the cosmologist, George Smoot, who will explain the discovery that earned him the Nobel Prize for Physics in 2006.
This course doesn’t require any background in physics or mathematics, just a simple curiosity about the Universe.