WEEK I: Overview: In this module, an overview of the science of safety and an introduction to a culture of safety in healthcare will be provided.
- Patient Safety Q&A
- Creating a Culture of Safety
- The Science of Safety
WEEK 2: Enabling and Contextual Factors Influencing Patient Safety and Quality: Enabling and contextual factors, including communication, teamwork, and healthcare human factors, that influence patient safety and quality will be explored in this module. Complementary presentations by JHU faculty will introduce strategies to enhance communication and teamwork.
- Leadership to Enhance Communication
- Communication Toolkit I: Effective Communication
- Communication Toolkit II: Teamwork
- Human and Environmental Factors: Contribution to Error
- Patient Involvement in Patient Safety
- Increasing Family Participation in Care
WEEK 3: Methods to Improve Safety and Quality: Given the system complexity and various sources of healthcare safety and quality defects, multiple methodologies are required to improve safety and quality. In addition, sound measurement approaches are required to know whether risk has been reduced. In this module, several examples of available methodologies to improve safety as well as measurement strategies will be examined.
- Understanding CUSP and the CUSP Team
- Learning from Defects in Patient Care
- Using Event Reports to Design Safer Systems
- Measuring Success in Safety Initiatives
- Disclosing Adverse Events
- Patient Centered Care
WEEK 4: Translating Evidence Into Practice and Leading Change: In this module learners will explore the TRiP Model for translating evidence into practice, review an integrated approach to improving the reliability of care, and distinguish the technical and adaptive challenges of safety and quality improvement.
- Translating Evidence into Practice
- Leading Change
- The Need for Improvement Science
- What Can You Do to Improve Patient Safety?
- The Business Case for Patient Safety
and A "Ask us anything"
WEEK 5: Summary
and future challenges
- Meet the Patient Safety Experts
- Patient Safety Fellowship
- Opportunities for Learning at the Armstrong Institute
- Opportunities for Learning at the JHU School of Nursing