Welcome to Music Theory Level 1: Part Five
In this course you will gain a complete and comprehensive understanding of counterpoint. This course forms part of the complete Music Theory Fundamentals Guide.
This is a class designed for the average person who is ready to take their music career (or music interest) and turn it into a business. Whether you are an active musician, an aspiring musician, or an aspiring music manager or agent - this class is perfect for you.
For years I've been teaching Music Theory in the college classroom. My approach to music theory is to minimize the memorization. Most of these concepts you can learn by just understanding why chords behave in certain ways. Once you understand those concepts, you can find any scale, key, or chord that exists. Even invent your own. If you've tried to learn music theory before, or if you are just starting out - this series of courses is the perfect fit.
In Part 5: Counterpoint, we will cover:
- My approach to Music Theory
- Tools of Counterpoint
- Second Species Counterpoint
- Metric Accents and Diminutions
- Passing Tones
- Consonant Skips and Leaps
- Neighbor Tones
- Writing Compelling Melodies
- Third Species Counterpoint
- The Cambiata
- Double Neighbor Tones
- Fourth Species Counterpoint
- Rhythmic Displacement
- 4-3, 7-6, and 9-8 Suspension Types
- Consonant Suspensions
- Chains of Suspensions
- Fifth Species Counterpoint
- Free Counterpoint
- Worksheets and Music for Practice
You will not have another opportunity to learn Music Theory in a more comprehensive way than this. All the tools you need to successfully learn Music Theory are included in this course and the entire course is based on real-life experiences - not just academic theory.
Praise for Courses by Jason Allen:
- "Without a doubt the best explanation and ease of use that one can get. It leaves you enough room to go explore. The classes go by quick, so you can be on your way at being proficient. What are you wait for!"
- "Amazing - Seriously Loved It! I took all his courses and have to say I'm so happy! Learnt loads! Jason is an awesome teacher!"
- "I have never had any formal training in music at all. Trying to learn all the notes and how everything translated was a serious challenge. After going through this class, Dr. J has totally brought down the barriers. The content was very useful and was easy to grasp for me."
- "I like these courses because you can get up and running quickly without having to spend hours of time wading through TMI (too much information!). Jason hits the high points but shows you what you need to know. Thanks!"
- "I've watched many other videos on scales and chords before, however, this one has been the best. I now understand minor scales and chords and even how to analyze songs. It really gave me the confidence to start producing music because I feel like I have some structure and guidelines to follow. AWESOME!"
- "Clear and Informative - Jason has a clear uncluttered style (with the important dashes of humor) of presentation that is focused on the important key aspects of this course. Recommended for those starting out!"
- "Dr. Allen does it again with his music theory series. This course really opened up everything I learned from the 1st section, and now I understand more about the composition side of things for music. I highly highly recommend this course to anyone!!! Really opened my eyes to many things I wasn't aware of."
- "The Best Teacher Ever, who makes you understand the ins & outs of Music Theory by all means without giving what you don't want to know."