The world's population recently reached seven billion people, and is expected to swell to nine billion by 2050. This growing population is putting pressure on food, water and energy supplies, threatening biodiversity, and contributing to global
climate change. We need find a way to meet these challenges while maintaining a healthy and sustainable environment.
We believe that the oceans hold the key to overcoming these challenges.
In this 8-week course we will look at:
- The significant challenges facing humanity now and in the future
- Identifying the bottle-necks behind these challenges
- How ocean-based solutions will help to meet the growing demands for resources
- How ocean-based solutions can be used in climate change mitigation
- The historical impact of ocean governance on implementing effective solutions
- The impacts of public perception and attitudes in
implementing ocean solution strategies and consider the practicality of
successfully deploying them
We hope you can join us.
The following modules will be covered during the first 6 weeks of the course:
Module 1: Problem Statement
Module 2: The Challenge
Module 3: Ocean Solutions
Module 4: Food from the Ocean
Module 5: Water from the Ocean
Module 6: Energy
Module 7: Marine Bioresources
Module 8: Climate Change Mitigation
Module 9: Governance of Ocean Solutions
Module 10: Successfully Deploying Ocean Solutions
Module 11: Prospects
The final 2 weeks of the course will involve a peer assessment activity.