Learn How to Draw the Figure from Life
This is a complete overview of the process of Drawing the Figure. What you will learn by the end of this class:
• a way to draw that is totally unique and natural to you
• how to see things with an artist's eye and draw the real shapes instead of the symbols
• how to understand the figure and be able to draw the model in any given pose
• you will have gained an in-depth understanding of anatomy for artists, and know exactly the right anatomical points to look out for on the model and put into your drawings
• you'll also have a clear and concise way of measuring while you draw so that you can ensure you draw correctly and in proportion
If you are someone who feels stuck in their drawing practice, or even if you are someone who has never attended a life drawing session but you know you want to learn how to draw the figure, then this class is for you. What I’m going to teach you is a set of techniques and approaches to the figure that will burst open the door to your very own natural and expressive style.
I designed the whole class along the lines of a normal everyday life drawing session, which is split up into short warm up poses, longer poses and then finally one or two very long poses. There are 4 distict sections.
1). The first section is all about Gesture Drawing which is a technique for expressive mark making.
2). Then I’m going to introduce you to Contour and Blind Contour Drawing, which is a technque to unlock observation.
3). After that I’m going to teach you some key anatomical landmarks that will underpin your drawing and hone your accuracy.
4). Finally, will show you a method for ensuring that you will always have a well composed drawing, that your proportion and measuring are in tune with your expression.
My whole entire approach to drawing the figure is based on a natural, responsive way of drawing that has observation at its core as well as knowledge of anatomy.
In this class, I’m not going to teach you to draw an idealized or perfect image of the model; or a templated version of the human form. Instead I want to teach you to DRAW WHAT YOU SEE, and the process, so that you can unlock your own powerful expression and observation. These are the tools that are going to take you and your Art to a level that is WAY beyond just making a nice picture.
By the end of the class, not only will you have a complete understanding of how to draw the figure from life, but you’ll also have discovered your own voice and expression through the process. And that’s something that you can apply to any creative pursuit, not just to your drawing