• In-depth insight into the constitutional, statutory and institutional aspects of human rights protection in India.
• Covers constitutional provisions dealing with human rights and special legislations dealing with protection of vulnerable and marginalized groups.
• Discussion on institutional framework in India dealing with protection and enforcement of human rights.
Learning Outcomes: By the end of the course students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate a good understanding of the provisions under the Constitution of India dealing with human rights.
2. Display a good understanding of the nature and scope of special legislations dealing with protection of human rights of marginalized and vulnerable sections.
3. Demonstrate a good understanding of the practical application of human rights law to specific human rights problems in India.
4. Analyze complex human rights problems and apply relevant provisions of human rights law in India to a hypothetical situation/case study and a theoretical knowledge of the underpinnings of the human rights framework in India, its operation and issues associated with its implementation.
1. Introduction to National Human Rights Protection System
2. Human Rights Provisions in the Constitution-I
3. Human Rights Provisions in the Constitution-II
4. Directive Principles of State Policy and Fundamental Duties
5. Relationship between Constitutional Law and International Human Rights Law
6. Introduction to Public Interest Litigation
7. PIL – Prisoner’s Rights
8. PIL – Environment I
9. PIL – Environment II
10. PIL – Gender Justice
11. PIL – Bonded Labour
12. Human Rights Courts in India
13. Role of Legislature in the Protection of Human Rights
14. Role of Executive in the Protection of Human Rights
15. Introduction to Paris Principles
16. Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993
17. National Human Rights Commission
18. Activities of the National Human Rights Commission
19. Critical evaluation of the National Human Rights Commission
20. National Commission for Women - I
21. National Commission for Women - II
22. National Commission for Scheduled Castes - I
23. National Commission for Scheduled Castes - II
24. National Commission for Scheduled Tribes - I
25. National Commission for Scheduled Tribes - II
26. National Commission for Minorities - I
27. National Commission for Minorities - II
28. National Commissions for Protection of Child Rights – I
29. National Commission for Protection of Child Rights - II
30. Legal framework for the protection of the rights of persons with disabilities
31. Office of the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
32. National Safai Karamchari Commission
33. Right to Information Act
34. Central Information Commission
35. National Commission for Denotified, Nomadic & Semi-Nomadic Tribes
36. Role of Higher Educational Institutions & Trade Unions in the Protection of Human Rights
37. Role of NGOs in the Protection of Human Rights - I
38. Role of NGOs in the Protection of Human Rights – II
39. Role of NGOs in the Protection of Human Rights - III
40. Role of Media in the Protection of Human Rights