This four (4) credit, 15 weeks MOOCs course is being offered for Post Graduate students of Sciences and other faculties. This course is also open to water professionals and concerned citizens.
There is a total of 40 modules in this course. These modules are broadly divided into four major categories. They cover, Basics of Hydrology, Water quality issues, Tools and techniques necessary for managing water resources and watersheds, and finally the water resources' societal and environmental aspects.
To develop an understanding of the availability and occurrence of freshwater, its uses, and problems related to water resources management.
To introduce the various tools and techniques for application in Integrated Water Resources Management.
To promote awareness for life-long learning and introduce them to ethics and codes of professional practice in water resources management.
This course is designed to provide a basic understanding of the impact of water and water-related issues in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
We anticipate that this course will help the participants appreciate water's importance as a precious resource.
It will provide the necessary knowledge and skills required for managing water resources.
You are welcome to join this free course to learn more about managing our water resources and solve societal and environmental woes.
Water Resources and Watershed Management (Course Schedule)
1. Mystery of Earth's Water Origin
2. Water on Earth: The Molecule of Life
3. Water Resources and Environmental Sustainability
4. Surface Hydrology
5. Groundwater Hydrology
6. Chemical Composition of Natural Waters
7. Methods for Collection and Analysis of Water Samples
8. Water Security Challenges of India
9. Monsoon Rainfall in India: Occurrence and Variability
10. Water Resources in India: Surface Water
11. Water Resources of India: Occurrence and Use of Groundwater
12. Irrigation in India: Status, Challenges and Options
13. India's Urban Water Crisis
14. Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Management
15. Water Quality: Inorganic Pollutant in Water
16. Water Quality: Organic Pollutant in Water
17. Water Quality: Geogenic Contaminants in Groundwater
18. Water Disputes and Governance in India
19. Water-Food-Energy and Climate Nexus
20. Watershed: Concepts and Characteristics
21. Integrated Watershed Management
22. Sustainable Management of Groundwater Resources
23. Surface Water Management: Dams, Interlinking of Rivers
24. Water Conservation: Indigenous methods and Four Water Concept
25. Sediment Erosion and Soil Conservation Measures
26. Water Quality Issues of India and its Monitoring
27. Drinking water Treatment Technology
28. Sewage Treatment/ Effluent Treatment
29. Geo-spatial Technologies in Water Resource Management: Remote Sensing Techniques
30. Geo-spatial Technologies in Water Resource Management: GIS Tools
31. Application of Hydrological Models
32. Soft-computing Techniques
33. Statistical Methods in Water Resources Management
34. Geophysical Methods for Groundwater Exploration
35. Water Resource Budget Allocation and Expenditure
36. Climate data download and down-scaling
37. Climate Change and Its Impact on Water Resources and Societal Interventions
38. Climate-Smart Agriculture
39. Climate Resilient Water Sensitive Urban Design: Concepts and Scope
40. People's Participation in Water Resource Management