Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology via Coursera
This course may be unavailable.
The course develops technical writing skills necessary to communicate information gained through a process of technical or experimental work. The course highlights the factors that determine the degree of technicality of the language and concepts involved. You will learn how to write different technical reports, e.g., laboratory reports, research reports, design and feasibility reports, progress reports, consulting reports, etc. The course also approaches several language, structure, style, and content issues that you can encounter while reporting the results of your research.
- Module I: From Start to Finish
- This module will help you acquire knowledge about technical writing, which deals with complex topics in precise ways. The module covers issues related to workplace research that you will have to conduct as a technical writer. Regardless of which technique you use, your challenge will be to sort the relevant information from the irrelevant, and the accurate from the bogus. The module focuses on audience, purpose, and measures of excellence in technical documents. In addition, you will learn what it means to be a good technical communicator.
The references included at the end this module will serve as a perfect complement to the information described in the video lectures.
- Module II: Organizing the Information
- In this Module, you will learn how to use visuals to communicate a large amount of information quickly and efficiently. The Module provides general guidelines for using graphical tools that you can use to design visuals with the output process of the report in mind. In addition, you will learn how to define a term using various techniques of extended definitions. The Module also provides guidelines for effective planning of technical report writing.
- Module III: Researching Your Subject
- This module will help you develop an enhanced understanding of such types of technical documentation as feasibility and recommendation reports, instructions as well as laboratory research. The module covers issues related to various types of academic and workplace research. The focus is on acquiring the best available information – the most accurate, most unbiased, most comprehensive, and most current.
- Module IV: Capstone Project
- #1 in Subjects / Grammar & Writing / Technical Writing
5.0 rating, based on 3 Class Central reviews
Anonymous completed this course.The course is worth taking!
If you have a logical mindset, like to tease order out of complex situations and enjoy writing well-organized, clear instructions, tech writing may be for you. It's a rewarding career, ideal for team-oriented people with excellent communication skills, and a desire to contribute to the success of an organization.
The course provides information crucial in the tech writing field.
You'll learn how to produce quality technical documents, including instructions and technical reports.
It has helped me to start a foundation in technical writing. I've always been a freelance writer, but I wanted to learn more skills to improve my income. Coursera courses have always been my favourite since I started University, and I'm happy I'm taking a Coursera course on this skill again.
I look forward to learning more!
Your review helps other learners like you discover great courses. Only review the course if you have taken or started taking this course.