Lesson 1 - User Interface Components (about 16 hours)
In this lesson, we will highlight various important components of the Android User Interface (UI) — like Radio Buttons, Grid Views and several more — that will allow you to make highly functional mobile apps. We will focus on each UI component by trying to answer the question, "How do I use ________ in Android?"
For each question below, we will guide you to the best Internet tutorial that will offer step-by-step instructions on how to use the UI component in a new android app. Here is the full list of questions we will answer in this course:
Interactive Controls (about 3 hours)
- How do I use a Toggle Button in Android?
- How do I use a Radio Button in Android?
- How do I use EditText in Android?
- What are Arrays (or lists) in Java and how do I use them?
- How do I show suggestions (or autocomplete) when typing into an EditText?
- How do I use a Spinner (or drop down list) in Android?
- How do I change the orientation of the emulator while using shortcuts?
- How do I simulate a button click with code in Android?
Menus (about 2 hours)
- How do I automatically add missing import statements in my code?
- How do I create an Options Menu in Android?
- How do I add a Popup Menu in Android?
User Input Events (about 1 hour)
- How do I use onLongClick?
- How do I drag and drop in Android?
Navigation (about 2 hours)
- How do I use the swipe gesture in Android?
- How do I work with multiple screens (or activities) in Android?
- How do I add tabs to my app in Android?
Layouts (about 4 hours)
- How do I use a basic ArrayAdapter?
- How do I use the ListView in Android?
- How do I use the GridView in Android?
Best Practices (about 2 hours)
- How do I make my app more accessible?
- What are the best practices for designing an Android app?
- What color schemes should I use when making an Android app?
Miscellaneous (about 2 hours)
- How do I play a sound in Android?
- How do I display a map in my Android app?
- How do I use the share button in my Android app?
Lesson 2 - Final Project (about 10 hours)
Use the skills you have learned in this course to build an app that you will feel proud to share with your friends and family.