• Those who are interested in international relations
• For students in International Relations, Political science, Regional studies
• Those who work in the international organizations
• Those who like to study online and gain knowledge from another field of science.
• For international journalists
The problem of war and peace has been of interest to humanity since ancient times, when the first states began to pursue their foreign policy and build relations with neighboring states. In the 21st century, the use of military force and the violation of peace is still an important problem in the system of international relations. As part of this distance course, students will study the history of the formation of the modern system of international relations and will be able to explain the features of various theories interpreting the foreign policy of the state.
The online course will be useful and interesting not only for students studying political science, but also for everyone who is interested in the foreign policy of the countries of the world and the system of international relations. The remote learning format allows you to join the course from anywhere in the world.
The course "Understanding International Relations Theory" of the Higher School of Economics provides you with useful knowledge of international relations. Having a PC or a laptop connected to the Internet, you can join the course of our university from any country. The first question to which students will find the answer will be "What is IR science"? The main goal of this online course is to understand the origins and features of the modern international relations system and be able to analyze the foreign policy of states through the prism of the theory of international relations. After completing the course, students will be able to analyze the special features of different theories of international relations, ranging from realism, liberalism and Marxism to Constructivism, Postmodernism, Feminism etc. Moreover, students will find an answer to one of the key questions in IR science: who is actor of international politics? Passing the tests and writing essays will allow students to consolidate their knowledge in the field of international relations.
The course consists of short video lectures from 3 to 17 minutes, in which invaluable questions are included.
Test of 8 questions will take place every week except the last week. In the first, fourth and seventh weeks, along with tests students also submit an essay (the essay must be at least 200-300 words long). In the end of the online course there is a final exam in the form of essay. The final essay must be at least 400 words long.
The course allows you to interpret important international events and foreign policy of states through the prism of different theories of international relations.
By the end of online course students will get the knowledge of:
• The history of the formation of IR science.
• Theories of international relations and their features.
• Actors of international relations and their features.
• Analysis of Russian foreign policy through the prism of realism.
• Critical analysis of the foreign policy of states through the prism of theories of international relations.
• Types of power in international relations and their features