Do you want to prepare for medical school, study a STEM field, become a research scientist, or transition to a career in the booming biotechnology industry? Or maybe you just want to understand the chemical reactions that govern life itself. Join Professor Yaffe, an MIT professor and practicing surgeon, as he guides you through the science that inspires countless doctors, researchers, and students alike.
We developed 7.05x Biochemistry with an emphasis on:
- Developing your scientific thinking skills including articulating hypotheses, performing thought experiments, interpreting data, and designing experiments.
- Using data based on real scientific experiments and highlighting the scientific process.
- Asserting that biology is an active field that changes daily through examples of MIT (and other current) research, not static information in a textbook.
- Visualizing real molecular structures with PyMOL to better understand function and mechanism.
- Appreciating the quantitative aspects of biochemistry and practicing this quantitation with MATLAB.
- Translating topics in biochemistry to diseases and medicine.
- Conveying the authentic MIT firehose experience.
- Implementing the science of learning in the course design.
We offer a thorough and robust means of certifying edX learners in their mastery of the MITx biochemistry content, through the MITx 7.05x Biochemistry Competency Exam. This challenging option is available only to those who register for the verified-certificate track, and successful completion of this exam is the majority of the assessment grade that counts toward a certificate. The Competency Exam will be open from December 8, 2020 to December 15, 2020.