Open education and open educational resources are deeply influencing and transforming the educational environment. This course offers a practitioner’s view of open education, open educational resources, repositories and applications for educators and professionals.
This 4-week course is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the ways in which open education and open educational resources are changing the rules of education. The purpose of the course is to help faculty and professionals dedicated to education to understand the advantages of open education and how they can apply it to their everyday teaching.
No previous knowledge is necessary. Join us as you start your open education journey.
Week 1: Introduction to Open Education & OERs
- Open source way
- Open education
- Open educational resources
- Open courses: from OCW to MOOCs
Week 2: Repositories
- Communities based on OER Repositories; Repositories of general purpose
- Open practices based on repositories
- Challenges to use OER from repositories
- Open engineering communities; The case of IT and CS communities in Merlot repository
Week 3: Applications to Academic and Industry
- Teaching through Open Education
- Research and Open Access
- Industry and Open Education
- The Future
Week 4: Applications for OERs
- OERs: properties, formats and tools
- Creative Commons Licenses and their use
- OERs and media: presentations and documents / video (creation and modification)
- Other OERs (Lesson Plans, Rubrics, Assessments, etc.)