This course summarizes the main theoretical and practical research surrounding evidence-based education policies and delves into the key improvements and challenges observed in education systems in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The course has been organized around five key features of successful education systems:
- High goals for student achievement that guide all activities within an education system;
- Access to high-quality early childhood and preschool development programs that prepare students entering the school system;
- Effective teachers to improve learning and reduce achievement gaps among students;
- Access and effective use of adequate resources in all schools to promote student learning; and
- Ensuring that all young people acquire the skills necessary to reach their full potential in the professional world and contribute to society.
The course’s target audience includes those with interest in improving education through evidence-based education policies.
Module 1: Introduction
We will spend this module researching the main issues of education systems in Latin America and the Caribbean, while introducing the 5 dimensions of success in education policy that we will delve into in the following modules.
Module 2: High goals
Establish the need to define high-level student learning goals that guide all activities of the education system.
Module 3: Early education
To ensure that all students enter the school system ready to learn we must provide full access to high-quality early childhood development (ECD) and preschool programs.
Module 4: Effective teachers
We will understand why it is important to have high-quality teachers, and we will discuss the characteristics that a good teacher should have. and we will see how appropriate policies can help our region to improve teacher quality through an improvement in recruiting and talent management.
Module 5: Adequate resources
we will discuss how to ensure that all schools have adequate infrastructure, finance and technological resources and an be able to use them effectively for improving learning. We will also address one of the most important issues our region face in education: how to ensure that resources have a positive impact in most vulnerable populations.
Module 6: Relevant skills
We will discuss how promote education policy to ensure that all young people acquire the necessary skills to achieve their maximum potential in the workplace and contribute to society.