This course was planned as a training program for journalists, but it is open to anyone who has an interest in learning about the basics of mobile journalism. You don’t need any previous experience with the concepts, tools or resources of mobile journalism. Just bring your enthusiasm to learn from some of the best trainers in this field of mobile journalism in the United States!
At the end of the course, you will come away with knowledge about:
- How global adoption of mobile has influenced and changed journalism.
- How to prepare for the future of the media and life in a mobile-first world.
- How to report and engage with audiences using mobile devices.
- How to use the best practices for usability and product design when building your mobile experiences.
- How to make informed decisions about building mobile news products across platforms.
- How to plan for the future of wearables, AR and other trends that might change the course of mobile and journalism.
Module 1 : THE STATE OF MOBILE
- About the global adoption and influence of the portable device
- Which phones are the most dominate
- How mobile has integrated into our daily lives
- How mobile has influenced modern journalism
Module 2: THE MOJO WORKFLOW
- How to identify the seven basic steps of mobile reporting.
- How to create and share branded mobile journalism content.
- How to use two simple mobile apps to make an audio or video documentary, or a narrated photoessay.
- How to select accessories that enhance the camera or audio quality of iOS smartphones and tablets.
Module 3: DESIGNING FOR THE MOBILE EXPERIENCE
- How good design is intuitive, making something immediately usable.
- About the importance of satisfying expectations of tactile interaction and content: tap, flick, pinch, drag, etc.
- How mobile design differs from established desktop design. (Options and choices for your content).
- About best practices for process: How design, development and content best work together.
- About Mobile Analytics: What is your audience using?
Module 4: MOBILE NEWS PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- About different mobile development approaches and their benefits as well as weaknesses
- About responsive vs. mobile apps vs. mobile-optimized Sites: The religious battle
- How to go about planning and building mobile products (Different frameworks and services to move swiftly, other considerations such as staffing, timelines, etc.)
Module 5: FUTURE OF MOBILE (AND BEYOND)
- About the evolution of wearables
- About the rise of Google Glass
- About Glass Journalism
- About augmented reality storytelling and journalism
Will Sullivan, Sara Quinn, Allissa Richardson and Robert Hernandez