Farrah Sheehan Deselle, MSN, RN, IBCLC
Eat Sleep Console and Trauma-Informed Care Implementation Specialist
At the end of this learning activity, (at least 75% of) participants will be able to design a plan of care that utilizes a trauma-informed approach when interacting with women and their families during the perinatal period.
The activity director(s), planning committee member(s), speaker(s), author(s) or anyone in a position to control the content for this activity have reported NO financial relationship(s)* with ineligible companies**.
* A “financial relationship" includes employee, researcher (named as the PI), consultant, advisor, speaker, independent contractor (including contracted research), royalties or patent beneficiary, executive role, and/or an ownership interest (not including stocks owned in a managed portfolio).
** An ineligible company is any entity whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
• Harm Reduction Coalition - https://harmreduction.org/
• Johann Hari – “Chasing the Scream” 2015
• TED Talk - Johann Hari: Everything You Think You Know About Addiction is Wrong?
• National Council for Behavioral Health - https://www.thenationalcouncil.org/areas-of-expertise/trauma-informed-behavioral-healthcare/
• SAMHSA’s Concept of Trauma and Guidance for a Trauma-Informed Approach - https://store.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/d7/priv/sma14-4884.pdf
• Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), Clinical Guidance for Treating Pregnant and Parenting Women with Substance Use Disorder - https://store.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/d7/priv/sma18-5054.pdf
• Trauma Informed Care Project - http://traumainformedcareproject.org/
• Atwood, E., Sollender, G., Hsu, E. et al. (2016). A qualitative study of family experience with hospitalization for neonatal abstinence syndrome. Hospital Pediatrics 6, 626–632.
• Blaustein, M. E., & Kinniburgh, K. M. (2010). Treating traumatic stress in children and adolescents: How to foster resilience through attachment, self-regulation, and competency. New York, NY: Guilford Press.
• Buczkowski, Amy MD; Avidan, Olivia BS; Cox, David MD; Craig, Alexa MD The Parental Experience of Newborns With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome Across Inpatient Care Settings: A Qualitative Study, Journal of Addiction Medicine: September/October 2020 - Volume 14 - Issue 5 - p e183-e187 doi: 10.1097/ADM.0000000000000624
• Cleveland, L. & R. Bonugli, R. (2014). Experiences of mothers of infants with neonatal abstinence syndrome in the neonatal intensive care unit. Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Neonatal Nursing, 43, 318–329
• Cirino, N. H., Knapp, J. M., Perinatal Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Review of Risk Factors, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2019 Jun;74(6):369-376. doi: 10.1097/OGX.0000000000000680. PMID: 31216046
• Felitti VJ, Anda RF, Nordenberg D, Williamson DF, Spitz AM, Edwards V, Koss MP, Marks JS. Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults. The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study. Am J Prev Med. 1998 May;14(4):245-58. doi: 10.1016/s0749-3797(98)00017-8. PMID: 9635069.
• Harris, M., & Fallot, R. D. (Eds.). (2001). New directions for mental health services.Using trauma theory to design service systems. Jossey-Bass/Wiley.
• Hughes K, Bellis MA, Hardcastle KA, Sethi D, Butchart A, Mikton C, Jones L, Dunne MP. The effect of multiple adverse childhood experiences on health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Public Health. 2017 Aug;2(8):e356-e366. doi: 10.1016/S2468-2667(17)30118-4. Epub 2017 Jul 31. PMID: 29253477
• International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation. https://www.isst-d.org/public-resources-home/fact-sheet-i-trauma-and-complex-trauma-an-overview/
• Van Der Kolk, B. (2014). The Body Keeps the Score, Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma. New York, NY: Penguin Books.