What you'll learn:
- Please watch free preview videos you will learn something today without even enrolling for this course
- Fundamentals of Direct Memory Access in a Microcontroller
- The Microcontroller Architecture and Bus interfaces
- Bus matrix of the ARM cortex M based MCU
- Concurrent data access from ARM and DMA
- DMA control configurations like burst size, FIFO, Alignment
- DMA Controller internals and Bus interfaces
- DMA Controller channels,Streams,priority
- Memory to Memory data transfer using DMA and Exercises
- Peripheral to Memory and Memory to Peripheral DMA and Programming exercises
- Peripheral DMA configurations
- DMA controller interrupts and interrupts handling
The Course aims to demystify the Micro-controller DMA controller internals and its programming with various peripherals. Suitable for beginners to intermediate students in the Field of Embedded Systems and programming. Please go through the description below to understand the course offering.
Key things you will learn,
1) The Multi AHB bus matrix and ARM Cortex M Bus interfaces
2) MCU Master and Slave communication over bus matrix
3) DMA internals: channel mapping / streams/ fifo /Master ports / Arbiter/etc
4) DMA different transfer modes: M2P, P2M,M2M
5) DMA with peripherals like ADC, GPIO, UART_RX/TX and many other peripherals will be updated in this course.
6) DMA programming from scratch. Helps you to troubleshoot DMA issues on other microcontroller or processor platforms. You can speculate and debug problems more quickly when you learn the hard way.
7) And lots of other videos about circular mode/burst transfer /RTOS etc. will be added shortly.
1) STM32F446RE Nucleo64 board
you can also use other STM32 boards such as discovery board, evaluation board or any other board.
1) KEIL MDK V5 (free version, for windows)
2) Openstm32 system workbench ( windows/linux/mac) (free)
3) CubeMx software from ST (free)
The installation procedure is covered in the course
This course is all about understanding the Direct Memory Access Controller of the Micro-controller and how to use it in the embedded applications.
The course uses ARM Cortex M based STM32 Micro-controller for all theory discussion and code exercises. The course discusses generic details of the DMA which you can leverage to other Micro-controllers but you have made changes to the code in order to run on your target if it's not an ST's 32-bit Micro-controller.
The course will help you to raise your confidence in handling your MCU's DMA controller and connecting dots by going through the various levels of discussions.
I really tried to simplify the subject with clean/generic explanations and exercises.
We will discuss why DMA is required and how it benefits ARM to offload data transfer work with exercises.
We will learn different types of DMA transfers like M2M, P2M, and M2P (M: Memory P: Peripheral) and various DMA configurations. Please go through "What will I learn?" section above.
For the beginners/intermediate students, the course will indeed add huge advantage and helps to use DMA successfully in Embedded applications.
Learning order of FastBit Embedded Brain Academy Courses,
If you are a beginner in the field of embedded systems, then you can take our courses in the below-mentioned order.
This is just a recommendation from the instructor for beginners.
1) Microcontroller Embedded C Programming: absolute beginners(Embedded C)
2) Embedded Systems Programming on ARM Cortex-M3/M4 Processor(ARM Cortex M4 Processor specific)
3) Mastering Microcontroller with Embedded Driver Development(MCU1)
4) Mastering Microcontroller: TIMERS, PWM, CAN, RTC,LOW POWER(MCU2)
5) Embedded System Design using UML State Machines(State machine)
6 Mastering RTOS: Hands-on FreeRTOS and STM32Fx with Debugging(RTOS)
7) ARM Cortex M Microcontroller DMA Programming Demystified(DMA)
8) STM32Fx Microcontroller Custom Bootloader Development(Bootloader)
9) Embedded Linux Step by Step using Beaglebone Black(Linux)
10) Linux device driver programming using Beaglebone Black(LDD1)