1. Course Introduction
2. Poetry and the Arrest of Life
3. Richard Burton reads 'Adlestrop' by Edward Thomas (1878-1917)
4. Poetry and Difficulty
5. Distinguishing Between Good and Bad Poetry
6. The Poet on Poetry
7. "Sunday Morning," Wallace Stevens
8. "The Graveyard by the Sea," Paul Valéry.
9. "The Moon and the Yew Tree", Sylvia Plath.
10. "At the Fishhouses," Elizabeth Bishop.
11. Philip Larkin and W.H. Auden.
12. What are they trying to tell us?
13. Conclusion, Part One: Poetry: What It Is, And How to Understand It
14. James Merrill's "Santorini: Stopping the Leak." A Poem of Therapeutic Arrestation
15. Love, and the Arrest of Life
16. Charles Wright's Black Zodiac
17. STOPPING THE LEAK: T.S. Eliot's Poem, "Virginia"
18. Poetry and the way it undermines us: Weldon Kees and Donald Justice Part I
19. Poetry and the way it undermines us: Weldon Kees and Donald Justice Part 2