The BU Questrom Online MBA requires 45 credit-hours of coursework comprised of six 7.5-credit semester-long integrated modules. The curriculum is designed so that you take one module a semester. No more worrying about what courses to take and when.
Each module is the workload equivalent of two and a half individual core courses. However, with this innovative program design, the integration within each module makes you feel like you’re taking just one.
Our modules provide an integrated perspective on the key capabilities needed to make management decisions in a complex global business ecosystem. We’ve designed each module to weave together business concepts. Instead of studying business in silos - with separate courses in accounting, finance, marketing, supply chain, etc. - you’ll discover the interdependent nature of these core business disciplines. In other words, you’ll study business and business management the way you experience it every day in the real world: as complex interconnected challenges. For example, how do you launch a new product; is your business ready to expand in scale and scope; how can your organization create value for the world?
So, while you won’t see individual courses in our design, you can be assured that you are learning the same core concepts expected from the globally-recognized MBA degree.
ONLINE MBA LAUNCH
- Introduction to the edX learning platform
- Orientation to BU and Questrom School of Business
- How to be successful in an online learning environment
MODULE 1: CREATING VALUE FOR BUSINESS & SOCIETY
- Role of business in society
- Economic and socio-political foundations of business
- Impact of digital transformation and information
- Global business trends
MODULE 2: MANAGING PERFORMANCE WITH DATA
- Analyze financial statements and metrics
- Financial analysis for business planning
- Use statistics and data to drive business decisions
- Metrics for financial, marketing, and operational performance
MODULE 3: LEADING WITH INTEGRITY
- Develop a global and diverse work-force
- Lead through change
- Manage conflict, power, and politics
- Leverage high-performance teams
MODULE 4: MANAGING RISK
- Assess environmental, social, political, and regulatory risk
- Financial risk management
- Develop processes for measuring and monitoring risk
- Manage operational risk
MODULE 5: LEVERAGING GLOBAL OPPORTUNITIES
- Optimize the global value chain
- Develop competitive strategies
- Manage the marketing mix for target segments
- Analyze global markets and trade systems
MODULE 6: FOSTERING AN INNOVATIVE MINDSET
- Apply principles of design-thinking
- Manage the innovation portfolio
- Analyze growth opportunities
- Drive corporate and entrepreneurial innovation
Note: We expect each module will require approximately 15 to 20 hours of work per week.
Within each module you will also apply learning concepts and skills to your current or previous work, acquire capability-relevant management communications skills, advance your global team leadership acumen, and enhance your career development toolkit.
Each module ends with an action-learning experience and the program culminates in a comprehensive capstone project.
Modules are offered during the fall (September-December), spring (January-May), and summer (May-August) semesters. Taking the modules in five consecutive semesters allows you to complete your MBA in as few as 24 months while attending part-time.