Many educators are under-prepared to deal with web accessibility issues. This MOOC, sponsored by Colorado Community College System, provides a free professional development opportunity to help higher educational professionals meet the challenges of addressing accessibility in web-based content. This MOOC introduces the importance of accessibility as an essential communication tool to provide equal, barrier-free access to information for educational institutions. The information in this MOOC will focus on accessibility principles and techniques. Participants will be exposed to the legal guidelines and standards which affect most educational institutions. The information is contextualized for educational users but will also be useful for anyone interested in applying accessibility tools to their communication.
Topics covered in the MOOC:
- Principles of accessibility, why it is important, and who is affected in educational institutions.
- The effect of accessibility barriers on people's access to information.
- WACG 2.0 guidelines and resources as the international standard for web accessibility
- Creating accessible MSOffice and PDF documents.
- Creating accessible images, diagrams and charts.
- Creating accessible audio and video resources.
- Creating accessible HTML pages.
- Access to the Web is an essential requirement for full participation in the information society