In this course you will learn the drug discovery process up to the filing of an Initial New Drug Application or IND. Each week you will learn the steps that a pharmaceutical or biotech company goes through to discover a new therapeutic drug. In this course you will be able to:
* Understand the pharmaceutical and biotechnology market a changing landscape
* Learn the major aspects of the drug discovery process, starting with target selection, to compound screening to designing lead candidates.
* Recognize current modern drug discovery based on the lock-and-key theory, which attempts to use one single compound to hit one target to combat the related disease.
* Increase understanding of the various drug discovery tools and methods that are used for finding, identifying and designing a new drug.
* Define and understand the regulatory responsibilities for drug discovery to file an Investigational New Drug Application (IND).
This course is intended as part 1 of a series: Drug Discovery, Drug Development (https://www.coursera.org/learn/drug-development) and Drug Commercialization (https://www.coursera.org/learn/drug-commercialization). We would highly recommend that you take the courses in order since it will give you a better understanding on how a drug is discovered in the lab before being tested in clinical trials and then launched in the market place.