Module 1: Towards a New Climate Change Agreement
- The Challenge of Human Induced Climate Change
- The History of Climate Change Science
- The UNFCCC
- From Kyoto to Copenhagen
- Towards COP21
Module 2: The Basics of Climate Change Science
- The Earth’s Energy Balance
- The Greenhouse Gases and Feedbacks
- The Relentless Rise of CO2
- Other Drivers of Climate Change
- Recent History of Climate Change
Module 3: The 2-Degree Limit
- The Business As Usual Trajectory
- The Consequences of the BAU Trajectory
- Limiting the Mean Surface Temperature Increase Below 2-Degrees Celsius vs. Pre-Industrial Levels
- Debates Over the 2-Degree Celsius Limit
Module 4: The 2-Degree Carbon Budget
- What is a Carbon Budget?
- What is the Global Carbon Budget for the 2-Degree Limit?
- What is the Global Emissions Reduction Pathway for the 2-Degree Limit?
- How Does It Compare with the Potential Emissions from Fossil Fuel Reserves & Resources?
Module 5: The Deep Decarbonization of Energy Systems
- What is an Energy System?
- Energy-Related CO2 Emissions Trends
- The 3 Pillars of the Deep Decarbonization of Energy Systems
- A Global Mitigation Scenario
Module 6: The Key Technological Challenges of Deep Decarbonization
- The Need for Accelerated Development of Low-Carbon Technologies
- Key Technology Areas for RDD&D
- Grid Management of Power Systems with High Penetration of Renewable Energies
- Carbon Capture & Sequestration
- Advanced Nuclear Power
- Electric Vehicles and Advanced Biofuels
- The Role of Technology Roadmaps and Roundtables
Module 7: Deep Decarbonization Pathways: Country Case Studies
- Why Countries Need Deep Decarbonization Pathways to 2050
- The Deep Decarbonization Pathways Project
- What We Learn From Countries’ Deep Decarbonization Pathways
- Lessons for the Global Agreement on Climate Change at COP21 in Paris in 2015
Module 8: Energy & Development
- Energy & Poverty
- A World Without Modern Energy
- Energy for All in Africa
- How Climate Change Threatens the Poorest of the Poor
- Sustainable Energy for All
Module 9: Main Challenges of Climate Change Negotiations
- Efficiency & Fairness
- Basic Principles of a Global Agreement
- What is Fair?
- Making an Agreement Stick
- Problem-Solving Versus Negotiating
Module 10: Towards a New Climate Agreement Based on 2-Degrees Celsius
- The Three-Tiered Structure of Mitigation Commitments
- Technology RDD&D
- Climate Financing
- Can Everybody Win? Should Everybody Win?
- Achieving Large Global Goals