Human Resources Management Capstone: HR for People Managers
University of Minnesota via Coursera
This specialization provides a robust introduction to the key principles, policies, and practices of human resource management, with a focus on understanding managerial choices and constraints, acquiring and onboarding talent, managing employee performance, and rewarding employees. The capstone project provides learners with the opportunity to apply these key principles and practices to a real-world workplace (including a learner's own workplace if desired). Specifically, the capstone project will involve identifying the key human resources challenges for a workplace--including the most pressing motivational, selection, performance evaluation, and reward issues. And for each of these areas, learners will devise a multi-step action plan for addressing the challenges identified.
- Welcome and Getting Started
- The capstone project provides you with the opportunity to apply the key principles and practices presented in the four courses of the HRM specialization to a real-world workplace. In this first module, you will get acquainted with the overall expectations of this capstone course and identify the work unit that will be the focus of their your capstone project.
- Milestone 1: Identifying the Internal and External Context
- The first major milestone in the capstone project is identifying the internal and external needs, pressures, and constraints. In this module, you will be prompted to think about the major elements of the internal and external context and will create a draft description of these elements to share with other learners. You will also review others' work to provide guidance and to help reflect upon their own context.
- Milestone 2: Recruiting and Selecting Employees
- The second major milestone in the capstone project is to identify the recruitment and selection needs of the work unit you identified. In this module, you will be prompted to think about the major elements of the hiring process and will create a draft description of these elements to share with other learners. You will also review others' work to provide guidance and to help reflect upon their own work.
- Milestone 3: Managing Employee Performance
- The third major milestone in the capstone project is identifying the Performance Management processes that are in place to facilitate effective employee performance and growth. In this module, you will be prompted to think about the major elements of the performance management and will create a draft description of these elements to share with other learners.You will also review others' work to provide guidance and to help reflect upon their own context.
- Milestone 4: Managing Employee Compensation and Rewards
- To reach the final milestone of the capstone project, you will identify and analyze the organization's rewards practices. This includes an analysis of compensation strategy, benchmarking practices, and an analysis of the pay mix. You will receive feedback from others and also review others' work to provide guidance and to help reflect upon their own context.
- Submitting the Final Project
- The previous modules have focused on developing and getting constructive feedback on the major elements of the capstone project. In this module, you should use all of that feedback to submit a final version of the project that will be graded by other learners. You must also grade other projects which will expose you to HR challenges and solutions in contexts different from their own.
- Reflection and Congratulations
- The work is now done! This short module provides an opportunity for you to reflect upon the specialization, and to be congratulated on your success by the instructional team.
John W. Budd
4.5 rating, based on 2 Class Central reviews
4.8 rating at Coursera based on 616 ratings
Thakane Malefe is taking this course right now, spending 5 hours a week on it and found the course difficulty to be easy.It's a life changing course which most helps with teamwork also we learn from other people how do they think about others opinions
I look forward to be hr manager and i hope to increase my skills to be able to make a development of my organization