The course embraces the following aspects:
- understanding the key geological concepts, including crystal, mineral and rock;
- applying basic methods to determine the properties of minerals and structure and texture of rocks;
- identifying the composition, formation conditions, characteristic features of naturally-occurring and urban environment stone material and to determine its practical significance;
- identifying rocks and minerals so as to understand their specific application in such areas as building construction, civil engineering, as well as distinguishing ornamental stones or gemstones in the collections;
- obtaining theoretical background to further one's ability to observe and determine the practical value of rocks.
In general, this course provides an overview of some aspects of our world from a geological point of view.