• To teach the students to identify semantic systems and systemic processes in the lexicon;
• To explain the difference between primary and metaphoric meanings and types of semantic shifts;
• To understand what is “frame approach” used by Moscow Lexical Typology Group in studying lexicon and in cross-linguistic of lexical systems;
• To learn how to compile lexical typological questionnaires and build semantic maps reflecting the main oppositions in lexical systems.
Auditory of the online course: all those who are interested in linguistics and languages; ВА or MA or PhD students or teachers of linguistic programs.
The course contains:
• The detailed description of Moscow Lexical Typology Group methodology (frame approach) as compared to the other frameworks in the field of lexical semantics (Lecure 1)
• The cross-linguistics description of several semantic fields according to MLexT, case studies:
• Systems of AQUAMOTION verbs (Lecture 2)
• Systems of Verbs of falling (Lecture 3)
• Systems of qualitative terms for OLD (Lecture 4)
• The description of derived pain predicates (Lectures 5-6):
• Cross-linguistically relevant sources for metaphors,
• linguistic processes, accompanying this type of metaphorization,
• special features manifested by source verbs of different semantics in this process