- How impaired assets impact the balance sheet
1. Accounting for the Acquisition of Tangible and Intangible Assets
- Recording the purchase of a sports franchise
- A basic purchase
- A basket purchase
- Acquiring an entire business
2. Depreciation, Amortization, and Depletion
- The old Blockbuster Video case
- Straight-line depreciation and book value
- Accelerated depreciation and income taxes
- Difference between depreciation and amortization
3. Impairment of Tangible Assets
- Rio Tinto buys a coal mine in Mozambique
- The strange tangible asset impairment test in US GAAP
- Practice with tangible asset impairment computations
- A big bath: Strategic reporting of impairment losses
4. Impairment of Intangible Assets
- Why did Microsoft buy Nokia?
- Intangible asset impairment test for finite-lived intangibles
- Intuitive impairment test for infinite-lived intangibles
5. Impairment of Goodwill
- The ill-fated AOL-Time Warner merger
- The new goodwill impairment rule
- The old and costly goodwill impairment rule
- Case study in goodwill impairment: HP and Autonomy
6. Writing Assets Up?
- Does Coca-Cola have more cash or more fixed assets?
- The upward revaluation option under International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- What will we report in the future, cost or fair value?