In this course you will take the journey of water - how it began, and its availability today in light of global warming and urbanization.
You will see that the natural environment is reaching a threshold, and the impact that has for us and the water supplies that we rely on. We will answer the questions -what are organisations and policy makers doing to secure our water future? How is society working together towards climate resilience?
We’ll look at examples from around the world, learn about a vast range of technologies like desalination, and you’ll understand what’s involved in sustainable thinking and decision making. We’ll also explore the world of wastewater, and how its treatment is vital to the protection of health and the environment; and how wastewater can be recycled into pure drinking water
What will I learn?
Where could this lead me?
- You will learn about climate change and urbanisation and its impact on the water cycle
- What climate change means for people and the environment in terms of water, and what the world is doing about it
- What Renewable Energy means for the Water Cycle as a solution to Climate Change
- How water and wastewater is piped and treated; and how to manage treated wastewater
- How to be climate resilient by using seawater and wastewater as new water sources
- What can be done to save drying dams
- You will learn the following using the successes and failures of case studies from North America, Australia, Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East:
- How to plan for water and wastewater infrastructure
- What’s involved in sustainable thinking and decision making
- The World Water Agenda, and how countries are meeting or falling short on their targets
- Why Stakeholder and Community Engagement is so vital to water goals
- The importance of sustainable Catchment Management, and what can happen if we cannot diversify the water supply
If you're wondering what your future could look like in this area, here are some potential careers you could head towards.
- Planning engineer
- Policy advisor
- Project manager
- Safety coordinator