- To assist people to discover and analyze their problems, their felt and unfelt needs.
- To develop leadership among people and help them in organizing groups to solve their problems.
- To disseminate information based on research and the practical experience, in such a manner that the people would accept it and put it into actual practice.
- To keep the research workers informed of the people’s problems from time to time, so that they may offer solutions based on necessary research.
Rationale for developing this Course
The core courses planned under the programme with a strong foundation for the two aspects of Extension and Communication. The issues of national concern are reflected in the curriculum with a focus on linking women and children to mainstream national development programmes. It will orient the students to the socio-cultural and economic environment of rural, urban and semi urban communities. The course will prepare a cadre of professionals to work with governmental and non-governmental organisations in various capacities. It will enhance self-employment potential through entrepreneurial skill training by developing competency in the preparation of participatory and innovative communication strategies for the dissemination of vital information to vulnerable sections of the population. The course gives an insight how to channelise the potential to become development Media specialists with an orientation to Development Journalism, Media Research and sensitivity to the vast heritages and oral traditions of the country. It also helps to develop skills in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating various programmes in the developmental sector.
The specific objectives of the course are to
Develop the basic knowledge of
- Understanding the concept of Extension and communication Management
- Socio economic analysis of Communities
- Changing trends in Extension education
- Gender and development, Women in agriculture
- Concept of Community Development
- Community development perspectives and approaches
- Community organization and role of leadership
- Leadership patterns and community mobilization
- Need for Adult education and Non formal education in development
- Project planning, planning, Implementation and Evaluation, management and techniques
- Programmes for rural and urban development
- Training for development, types and techniques,
- Extension officers, Agents and Public Relation Officers in Government Departments:
- Women welfare & Child development,
- Rural Development,
- Social welfare and
- Non government institutions
- Information and Public Relations
In the field of Media
- ICT module designers for community education, especially rural women, adolescent girls and children
- Event managers
- Free lancer journalists
- Public Relation Officers in corporate schools, hospitals and non-government organizations
- Social marketing managers