What you'll learn:
- Define your audience and intended outcome (purpose) of your content before starting to write.
- Apply a systematic writing process that works each and every time, and will stick with you for years.
- Organize your ideas and thoughts in a better way to ensure your audience "gets it," and you land your points effectively.
- Compose clear, concise communications which impresses your audience, gets the job done, and improves your career trajectory.
- Draft documents are well-planned, thoughtful and ensure ease of readability for your audience.
- Get your email points heard immediately, at the top of the communications, helping you to get what you want.
- Increase the speed and productivity of your digital, written, and oral communication.
Are you a business writer or technical writer? Do you need to do technical writing or software documentation writing? If so, this course is for you.
Maybe you need to communicate better in highly technical software documents, business reports, PowerPoint presentations or (simply) by email. Again, this course is for you. Why? Dan Graham created "The Writing System” to help you produce clear, effective and impactful communications every time. The Writing System provides you a simple but proven series of steps that ensure you get your message across, and speak exactly to what you want to achieve in that writing, and what your reader actually wants to hear.
Dan's system was created by years ago and has stood the test of time. It is the subject of various books, as well as having been delivered in many hundreds of company and business lectures and training classes. It is now the practice of 100s of 1000s of professionals worldwide, and "required reading" at many of the top organizations. Now, this program is available toyou in a practical and useful pre-recorded format.
The writing system we employ in this course uses 12 steps and almost 60 practical techniques to walk you through from initial writing analysis to final copy, producing documents that succeed every time. For each writing technique, the course provides tutorial with exercises and thoughtful answers. Special instructions help professionals for whom English is a second language. Advanced techniques help teams write long documents such as proposals. This course includes a separate section about writing professional emails, covering tenses, verbiage, and tone.
The approach Dan teaches used can be employed in the simplest of emails, software technical documentation, strategy documents, business plans and virtually every communication.
The program is built from videos and supplemental pdf documents where you follow along with Dan, including through e-book extracts that align to and support each of the videos. The program includes 38 video modules, as well as supplemental materials, averaging approximately 7-10 minutes each.
The modules are structured, as follows:
- Introduction & Overview
- Step 1 – Analyze Purpose
- Step 2 – Analyze Audience
- Step 3 – Writing the Purpose Statement
- Step 4 – Gathering information
- Step 5 – Writing the sentence outline
- Step 6 – Writing the draft
- Step 7 – Revising content and organization
- Step 8 – Editing for coherence
- Step 9 – Editing for clarity
- Step 10 – Editing for economy
- Step 11 – Editing for readability
- Step 12 – Conclusion and final thoughts
- Appendix B – Tips for writing emails
- Appendix C – ESL Articles, Attitude and Approach, and Tenses
The instructor and his support team are available for the lifetime of your course access to answer any questions and comments. The goal is to help you polish and perfect your writing communications skills.
More about this course and Starweaver
This course is led by a seasoned author, editor, business executive and technical writer with many years of hands-on, in-the-trenches editing and writing work. It has been designed, produced and delivered by Starweaver. Starweaver is one of the most highly regarded, well-established training providers in the World, providing training courses to many of the leading financial institutions and technology companies, including:
Ahli United Bank; Mashreqbank; American Express; ANZ Bank; ATT; Banco Votorantim; Bank of America; Bank of America Global Markets; Bank of America Private Bank; Barclay Bank; BMO Financial Group; BMO Financial Services; BNP Paribas; Boeing; Cigna; Citibank; Cognizant; Commerzbank; Credit Lyonnais/Calyon; Electrosonic; Farm Credit Administration; Fifth Third Bank; GENPACT; GEP Software; GLG Group; Hartford; HCL; HCL; Helaba; HSBC; HSBC Corporate Bank; HSBC India; HSBC Private Bank; Legal & General; National Australia Bank; Nomura Securities; PNC Financial Services Group; Quintiles; RAK Bank; Regions Bank; Royal Bank of Canada; Royal Bank of Scotland; Santander Corporate Bank; Tata Consultancy Services; Union Bank; ValueMomentum; Wells Fargo; Wells Fargo India Solutions; Westpac Corporate Bank; Wipro; and, many others.
Starweaver has and continues to deliver 1000s of live in person and online education for organizational training programs for new hires and induction, as well as mid-career and senior level immersion and leadership courses.
If you are looking for live streaming education or want to understand what courses might be best for you in technology or business, just google:
starweaver journey builder starweaver[dot]com