What you'll learn:
- Explain what time value of money calculations are
- List common time value of money calculations
- Describe when time value of money calculations are useful
- Compare multiple methods to calculate time value of money
- Calculate time value of money using mathematical formulas
- Calculate time value of money using tables
- Calculate time value of money using Excel
- Work problems involving present value calculations
- Work problems involving present value of annuity calculations
- Work problems involving future value calculations
- Work problems involving future value of annuity calculations
This course will cover time value of money concepts from a Corporate Finance perspective.
We will include many example problems, both in the format of presentations and Excel worksheet problems. The Excel worksheet presentations will include a downloadable Excel workbook with at least two tabs, one with the answer, the second with a preformatted worksheet that can be completed in a step-by-step process along with the instructional videos.
Time value of money concepts become more and more important as we consider decisions that will extend further into the future.
Time value of money calculation are usually grouped into four categories, present value of one, present value of an annuity, future value of one, and future value of an annuity.
The calculation of time value of money concepts can be performed using different method, the method used generally depending on the circumstances. It is useful to understand all methods, even if we have a preferred one, so we can communicate to others no matter what method they use.
Time value of money calculation methods can be done using mathematical formulas, using tables, or using Excel & financial calculators.
This course will consider multiple methods, comparing them, showing when each may be used and the pros and cons of each.