Objectives of the Course
- To define the functional role of assessment and evaluation in an educational institution
- To explain the complexity of the content and ability need to be developed among the students
- To differentiate convergent and divergent questioning in the assessment practices.
- To differentiate the Direct and Indirect assessment strategies and select appropriate method
- To design a Table of Specification (ToS) for the preparation of the question paper
- To design a question paper based on the table of specification.
- To establish the characteristics of the assessment such as validity and reliability.
- To assess the performance of the student using performance assessment strategy such as rubrics
- To perform item analysis of the assessment tool.
- To interpret the assessment score with respect to difficulty index and discrimination index.
- To integrate different technology tools for class room assessment and summative examinations
Introduction to Assessment and Evaluation: Introduction to Assessment – Languages of Assessment – Different forms of Assessment – Preparative Assessment – Formative Assessment – Diagnostic Assessment - Summative Evaluation – Questioning in formative assessment.
Two-Dimensional Learn – Assess Approach: Determine the objectives of the assessment – Learning Question – Instruction Question – Assessment Question – Alignment Question - Mapping Two-dimensional approach of preparing the Instructional objectives with complexity of questions – Factual Questions – Conceptual Questions – Procedural knowledge Questions – Meta- Cognitive Questions.
Assessment procedures: Types of Assessment – Direct Assessment strategies – Indirect Assessment strategies – Maximum performance – Typical performance – Construction of Achievement Test - Types of questions items – Supply type – Selection type – Numerical problem-solving methods – Connect the item type with context.
Design of Question Paper: Introduction to Table of Specifications (TOS) – Modules vs Levels in the TOS – Scheme of Evaluation in TOS – Factors to be considered for preparing TOS.
Performance Assessment: Overview of Performance Assessment- Check list – Rating scale - Rubrics – Need for the rubrics – Holistic rubric – Analytic rubric – preparation of Criteria and descriptors for Rubrics – Consolidation of rubric values – B.Tech / M.Tech / PhD thesis Evaluation – Portfolios.
Establish Characteristics of Assessment: Characteristics of evaluation tool – Validation of the tool - Reliability – Validity vs Reliability – Logical and statistical validity – Usability – Discrimination factors in the Evaluation tool – Interpretation of Test score – Estimate Reliability.
Item Analysis: Introduction to item Analysis – Difficulty index – Discrimination Index – Distractor analysis - Norm referenced interpretation – Criterion Referenced Interpretation
Software tools for Assessment: Technology aid for Assessment - Benefits of using digital tools for assessment- Free and FOSS tools for preparative assessment, formative assessment and Evaluation – Performance assessment tool