Week 1: The Science of Teaching and Learning
Exploration of the science of teaching and learning, the role of neuroscience in teaching and learning, how to respond to learner differences, and technology and support for next generation learning.
Week 2: Principles of Best Practices in Education
- Teaching with the Science of Learning
- Neuro-Education: The Role of Neuroscience in Teaching and Learning
- Understanding Learners and Responding to their Differences
- Technology and Support for Next Generation Learning
- The Science of Learning at Work in Practice
Examination of evidence-based teaching as well as strategies and approaches for integrating the principles of best practices. Discussion of the application of the principles of best practices and how they are used in action in the classroom.
Week 3: Knowing Your Audience
- Evidence-Based Teaching
- Strategies and Approaches to Integrate the Principles of Best Practice
- Application of Principles of Best Practice in Developing Your Course
- Principles of Best Practice in Action
Overview of how to "know your audience," including examination of needs assessment, motivation of learners, learners' readiness to learn, and learning styles.
Week 4: Developing an Effective Instructional Plan
- Learning Needs Assessment
- Motivation of Learners
- Readiness to Learn
- Learning Styles
Exploration of how to develop an effective instructional plan, including examination of how to write and craft goals, objectives, and course descriptions, as well as a learner-centered syllabus.
Week 5: Planning and Facilitating for Effective Small Group Learning
- Needs Assessment and Goals and Objectives
- Course Description and Objectives
- Defining Your Teaching Methods and Content to be Learned
- constructing Your Learner-Centered Course Syllabus
Examination of rationale and benefits of small group learning as well as how to plan for effective small group learning. Exploration of how to facilitate small group learning and review of common challenges that occur when facilitating small groups.
Week 6: Online Teaching and Learning
- Small Group Learning
- Planning for Effective Small Group Learning
- Facilitation Strategies for Effective Small Group Learning
- Small Group Learning: Common Challenges in Facilitating Small Groups and Strategies to Address Them
Overview of online teaching and learning, including the design of online courses and multimedia in online courses, course development using the ADDIE model, online course quality and why it matters, as well as accessibility considerations.
- The Power of Online Learning
- Online Course Design - Structure and Content
- Online Course Design - Communication & Engagement
- Online Course Design - Assessment & Evaluation
- Multimedia in Online Courses
- The ADDIE Model
- Why Quality Matters Online
- Accessibility in Online Learning