Whether you realise it or not, you negotiate and resolve conflict every day. This course introduces you to a way of thinking about Negotiation and Conflict Resolution that will give you renewed confidence.
This course provides you with an introduction to negotiation and conflict resolution from both an academic perspective and also from a practical or ‘skills’ based perspective. There are discussion boards which give you an opportunity to delve deeper into the issues with other people taking the course and also assessment items for you to undertake to help you recall key points along the way and to reinforce the learning. You will also receive some practical tips – negotiation ‘do’s and don’ts’, so you can continue to build on your skills in negotiation and conflict resolution after the course is complete.
What will I learn?
- Recognise cognitive heuristics that lead to poor negotiation decisions
- Identify a range of negotiation strategies and the consequences of only using a single strategy across different contexts
- Label different phases of a negotiation and learn what to do in each phase
- Understand how the skills and strategies can be applied to common workplace scenarios
- Explore different explanations for the origins of human conflict
- Understand a general framework for analysing and resolving conflict
- Describe a set of common communication skills and how they apply
- Bridge the gap between ‘knowing’ and ‘doing’ so that you can put the skills into practice in your own life.
Where could this lead me?
If you're wondering what your future could look like in this area, here are some potential careers you could head towards.
- Social work
- Commercial or community mediation
- General management