This course is the first in a series of six to equip you with the skills you need to apply to introductory-level roles in project management. Project managers play a key role in leading, planning and implementing critical projects to help their organizations succeed. In this course, you’ll discover foundational project management terminology and gain a deeper understanding of the role and responsibilities of a project manager. We’ll also introduce you to the kinds of jobs you might pursue after completing this program. Throughout the program, you’ll learn from current Google project managers, who can provide you with a multi-dimensional educational experience that will help you build your skills for on-the-job application.
Learners who complete this program should be equipped to apply for introductory-level jobs as project managers. No previous experience is necessary.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Define project management and describe what constitutes a project.
- Explore project management roles and responsibilities across a variety of industries.
- Detail the core skills that help a project manager be successful.
- Describe the life cycle of a project and explain the significance of each phase.
- Compare different program management methodologies and approaches and determine which is most effective for a given project.
- Define organizational structure and culture and explain how it impacts project management.
- Define change management and describe the role of the project manager in the process.
Embarking on a career in project management
You will learn how the program is structured, what project management is and what a project manager does, how to apply your skills from previous work experience to project management roles, what types of project management roles you could pursue after completing this certificate, and how to search for those positions.
Becoming an effective project manager
You will learn how project managers add value to organizations and to their teams, what the role and responsibilities of a project manager entail, and what core skills a project manager needs to be successful.
The project management life cycle and methodologies
You will learn about the phases of the project life cycle, what tasks they involve, and why it is important to complete them. You will also learn about the different project management methodologies and approaches and which is most effective for a given project.
Organizational structure and culture
You will learn about common organizational structures and how they impact project management, how organizational culture impacts project management, and how a project manager contributes to the change management process. Optionally, you can start to develop your strategy and professional network to help you prepare for your job search.