Welcome to the course where you learn to launch a new business in the energy, finance, real estate, design, engineering, or environmental sectors, while also helping you create positive environmental and human health impacts around the world.
We will integrate tools, trends, and tips from the field of entrepreneurship as a career path for making a difference and generating wealth in the renewable energy and green building sectors.
This is not a course about theory. Instead, we focus on real world application, step-by-step advice, and case studies.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define key business opportunities, challenges, and potential solutions in the renewable energy and green building sectors.
- Analyze a successful business in renewable energy or green building.
- Identify 2 to 3 problems you might solve with either renewable energy or green building products or services.
- Plan for engaging with investors who might finance a new business.
- Take real world first steps towards launching a new business or corporate initiative, by applying the 1-page business idea summary template and the Business Model Canvas to generating and refining your own new business ideas.
Welcome to the course
- I’m so excited that you’re joining me for this adventure. My goal is to make the course real and tangible, with practical action items and case studies of success. In this introductory module, you will get to meet the instructor from Duke University and have a brief overview of the course. More importantly, have fun!
Get Inspired — The Power of 3: Entrepreneurship + Green Building + Renewable Energy
- In this module, you will reviews case studies of three award-winning examples of renewable energy and green building, including onsite videos. We discuss how entrepreneurship is a path for solving big problems that matter. Lectures illustrate that entrepreneurship is NOT just about startups -- it’s also about internal innovation at larger organizations. We also dive into some of the many business opportunities in renewable energy and green building.
Dive into Business — Real Opportunity. Real Challenges.
-In this module, the instructor explains reasons for the significant growth in the renewable energy and green building sectors. We describe challenges and criticisms of both sectors, along with counterpoints and solutions. Finally, we discuss some of the struggles of entrepreneurship that must be overcome on this path of innovation and making positive impact at scale.
Blast Off — Moving from Ideas to Business Implementation
-In this module, the instructor provides tangible steps for generating, refining, and launching new business ideas, including tips for website, logo, advisory boards, and using helpful tools, such as the popular and dynamic planning and strategy tool called the Business Model Canvas. We also discuss how to think about building a team, because without one, your startup is just another job, not an enterprise.